Occidentally Mine

A place for me to return and remember after my remembery's shot.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

One Delicious Week

I have a treatment every three weeks. So far I've had 2 with the next one slated for Wednesday. For about the first 2 weeks after a treatment I:
1) Have no energy. No concentration. I can go to the office for 4 or 5 hours, but then I have to come home and collapse. Everything's kind of a haze.
2) Nothing tastes good. Food & drink either has no taste or tastes bad.
3) I have no sex drive.
4) My sleep patterns are way off because of the naps so I'm up at 3am every night.
5) I generally feel like crap.

And then there's the 3rd week. All of a sudden it all comes back. I can work all day and then hang out at night. I can focus. The simplest dish tastes great, and yada yada yada, I'm ready to rock and roll. The contrast between the first 2 weeks and the third is so great that it's almost worth it to go through the crap stage just to get to that third week. I get home from work, go out for a long walk, take pictures, stop in a restaurant, have a drink, see friends and sleep through the night.

I think if I can figure out how to maintain that 3rd week intensity all the time after this stuff is over I will have attained satori.

Update: I had a follow-up PET scan on Tuesday. The way it works is like this: they shoot me up with some radioactive stuff, run me through a scanner for about an hour, and any criminal activity inside me lights up on the film. At the first PET scan, done before the first treatment, I lit up like a Christmas tree. That was expected. After Tuesday's scan, all the old lights were out. That was very good news. There was, however, one new light. In my chest. Not a bright light, but a light nonetheless. Doc will discuss this with the radiologist on Monday and I'll probably have to go for a CT scan next week to see just what this new light is and hopefully it is another active lymph node that will be knocked out in the remaining chemo sessions. Never a dull moment.

1 Comments:

At Monday, April 24, 2006 1:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a relative who is going through chemo right now...I'm always amazed how she manages to keep her spirits up throughout the treatment as I can imagine it's pretty tough afterwards...

Here's some smiles for ya, Occidentally. :):):):):):) Hope the next treatment goes well and everything with the results of the CT scan turns out okay...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home