Occidentally Mine

A place for me to return and remember after my remembery's shot.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Part 2 (con't)

So yesterday was treatment #2 and all in all it wasn't too bad. A new drug was introduced, Rituxan, and that meant I would be there 5 hours instead of 2. It's fairly standard to have an allergic reaction to the Rituxan, anything from no reaction at all to complete intolerance so I needed to have a nurse in the room with me, monitoring blood pressure and watching for any negative reaction. Luckily, my cousin, K, a cancer nurse at Sloan Kettering is off on Wednesdays and she volunteered to come with me, removing the necessity of having the infusion done in hospital.

I started out with a blast of Benadryl & Tylenol to try and head off any reaction, then moved on to a drip bag of CHOP.

Then we started the Rituxan.

They start off really slow and then increase the drip, watching for a reaction. After about 10 minutes, I started to feel an itch in the back of my throat and in my ear. She slowed down the drip. Then my eyes started watering a lot and I got hives. It was interesting to observe this happening to me and both doc and K were keeping a close eye on things. When I started to wheeze and my throat began to tighten, doc said that was enough (we had gotten thru about 1/4 of the first of 2 bags of Rituxan) and she removed that bag, gave me a major blast of Benadryl and some steroid, and went back to a CHOP bag for a while.

In about a half hour, the allergic symptons were gone and she decided to -- chemo speak-- "challenge" me again with the Rituxan. This drug is what is known as a monoclonal antibody (whatever that means) and apparently not all of it is made from human stuff. Some of it comes from rat or cat or dog or something else which I can't remember now. It's that stuff that the body reacts to.

Anyway, she re-hooked the bag, dripped me real slow and this time everything went fine. I went thru the 2 bags, then finished up the CHOP (including 2 fat syringes of Red Devil, the stuff that causes chrome dome, and by 2pm K and I were out of there.

About this time, my friend J came by, and, as he's known K for years, and I knew that shortly my taste buds would again be all screwed up and all the other side effects I now expected, we decided to head immediately out for a bottle of wine to celebrate my successful challenge of Rituxan. I could barely keep my eyes open, but we had a fun time.

Then K walked home, J drove me home and hung out till AM showed up (I have a great tag-team support system!), she and I had dinner and I finally passed out around 11:30.

When I spoke to doc this morning I mentioned that last time I conked out as soon as I got home but this time, although I was exhausted, I couldn't sleep. She explained that this was due to the steroid blast and was natural.

And now I'm up to date till Friday when I have to inject myself with the Neulasta, which brings my white bood cell count back up. Time for a nap

2 Comments:

At Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:02:00 PM, Blogger Cath said...

Congratulations on your successful challenge. I work in Cancer therapy (although just radiation), and really have no idea what our patients go through by the time they get to us (ie they have had all their chemo before we get at them). You are giving me a wonderful insight into what is going on. Keep the attitude high... people are thinking of you all over the world.

btw... I am in NY end of April for a week - any suggestions to keep me amused?

 
At Friday, April 07, 2006 4:32:00 AM, Blogger Occidentally said...

It's a big city, Cath. Depends on what amuses you. How about a cup of coffee or a cocktail with an amusing bald guy? You can e-mail me from my profile and we'll discuss it further if you'd like... occ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home