Occidentally Mine

A place for me to return and remember after my remembery's shot.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ashes to Ashes...

I went to the funeral home yesterday to pick up his ashes. He was in a plastic bag inside a plastic container inside a taped corrugated box. Looked like a UPS package. I carried him the 2 blocks home in a shopping bag. He and I had walked this route many times and we chatted as usual. Except this time it was a one way conversation. I hoped this wouldn't be the day a thief would choose to run up behind me and steal my green, unmarked, 8 pound shopping bag.

My mother answered the door, looked at the bag and asked, "Pop?". I nodded.

She got a little teary, took the bag and brought it to the bedroom. She came out several minutes later and closed the door behind her.

I was on the phone with her today and I asked where he was. She said he was in the bedroom with her. I told her it was a bit chilly outside, why not put one of his many hats on the box?

She laughed at that idea, knowing how he would have enjoyed the irreverence of putting a hat on a box of ashes. She hated most of his hats, especially the baseball hats, but I think she chose one of those to put on him.

It was good to hear her laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home